- Constructive Dismissal
- Discrimination / Human Rights
- Employee Sued by Employer
- Employment Contracts: Drafting / Review / Negotiation
- Employment Policies Drafting / Review
- Fiduciary Obligations
- Harassment / Bullying
- Just Cause For Termination
- Non-Competition / Non-Solicitation
- Professional Regulation
- Severance Review / Negotiation
- Union / Labour
- Workplace Investigations
- Wrongful Dismissal / Unjust Dismissal
- Our Team
- Contact Us
Wrongful Dismissal / Unjust Dismissal
Wrongful Dismissal & Unjust Dismissal Services
Wrongful Dismissal Process
If you have been wrongfully dismissed, you are likely entitled to some amount of severance. If an employer has just cause for dismissal, then it is not a wrongful dismissal and the employee is not likely entitled to severance.
The lawyers at Bow River Law are skilled and experienced at handling a wide variety of dismissal matters as legal counsel for employees and employers. This of course includes Wrongful Dismissal.
Unjust Dismissal Process
“Unjust Dismissal” is a little bit different than wrongful dismissal. It generally means the dismissal without just cause of an employee whose employment is federally regulated. Federally regulated industries include things like banks, telecommunications, airlines, etc.
We have experience in this area. If you are a federally-regulated employee and your employment has been dismissed, we may be able to help you get a substantial severance, or in some cases even reinstatement to your previous job. Let us help you.
- Just because your employer has decided to terminate your employment does not mean you are powerless;
- Even if your employer does an investigation and concludes they have “just cause” to terminate your employment, you are not powerless. Employers do not get to decide if they have just cause or not- that is for the courts to decide. We are experienced at making strong arguments in this area and providing representation for dismissed employees;
- We are experienced at representing employers as well- let us know what is going on and we should be able to help you.
Wrongful Dismissal / Unjust Dismissal FAQ
- Can my employer just terminate my employment without a good reason?
Usually non-unionized employees can be terminated without a reason, as long as the employer provides you notice or severance. However, sometimes the circumstances of how you were terminated is not allowed, and in the case of federally-regulated employees like pilots, telecommunications workers or bank employees, just cause is often required. Speak to an employment lawyer to understand if your termination was illegal and/or if you got enough severance.
- Is Wrongful Dismissal Illegal?
Wrongful dismissal is not illegal. Wrongful dismissal just means that the employer has not given you enough notice of dismissal, and so they are required to pay you severance.
- If I am a federally regulated employee who was dismissed, how do I file an unjust dismissal complaint?
We can help you file an unjust dismissal complaint against your employer. Some public information is available at Employment and Social Development Canada.